Saturday 24 December 2011

It's Tradition!

So here we are, it's Christmas Eve! You'd have to be a bit of a Scrooge to not be feeling Christmassy by now! I definitely think the build-up in the weeks before the big day is just as much fun and I've got to admit I still haven't lost that 'night before Christmas' excitement. Christmas Day in our house is often quite hectic, especially when the grandparents are staying, so rather than trek to church in the morning, we go to the crib service the night before. Even though this is aimed at children, it's a great chance to sing some carols and immerse yourself in the festive feeling.

weheartit.com

Christmas day in our house hasn't changed much since we were children, and I love that! My little sis (not so little really, she's almost 18!) still insists on dragging us out of bed at some ungodly hour - while this used to be 7am, we've managed to push her back until 8.30am! I've never exactly been a morning girl, but somehow it seems a little easier when you know that Father Christmas has been!

After presents from Santa and breakfast, we head out to our local beach for a short walk on the cliffs. My friends all say they can't think of anything worse, but I love doing this (especially last year when it was a white Christmas). It blows away the cobwebs and gives you a chance to work up your appetite. We also often bump into people we know, so it's a great time to wish people a 'Merry Christmas'.

The cliffs last Christmas Day
Once the turkey is in the oven and we've had a light lunch (usually soup), it's into the lounge to open all the presents under the tree. My sister and I used to love choosing and handing out the presents and it's become our job for the afternoon. We usually have some nibbles and a glass or two of champagne while we open our pressies, which always goes down well.

After presents it's time for dinner and boy does my ma know how to put out a good Christmas spread!

I hope everyone has a lovely Christmas and has a chance to relax and spend time with the people they love. Have a great day everybody!

Sarah x

1 comment:

Make my day and leave me a comment!