Wednesday 21 December 2011

Book Review - 'All My Friends Are Superheroes' by Andrew Kaufman

A really little book (weighing in at just 108 pages) with a lovely story!


I was loaned this book by a friend and decided to read it on the long journey home for Christmas. Since it's such a short little book it didn't take long to read, but I must admit I really enjoyed it!

'All My Friends Are Superheroes' tells the story of Tom, whose marriage to The Perfectionist unravels when she is hypnotised by an ex-lover into believing he is invisible. As she boards a plane to move to Vancouver and leave her sadness behind, Tom follows her and has until the plane touches down to convince her to see him again.

The superpowers described in the book are a far cry from those normally found in comics and on the big screen - examples include The Stress Bunny (who absorbs the stress from a room), Falling Girl (who can't help but fall off everything) and Copycat (who can mimic someone's personal style so well that her subject ends up appearing as a less successful version of themselves). Although a few of these are a little hard to get your head around, I found myself wanting to hear more and more about the different superpowers! I've never really been a superhero/comic book kind of girl, but I really enjoyed this!

At times 'All My Friends Are Superheroes' is a little heartbreaking, but Andrew Kaufman's novella is a wonderful little love story and it is almost impossible to stop yourself rooting for Tom. This is a short and quirky read...a perfect way to pass an hour or two (or a journey home!).
 
Sarah x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave me a comment!